For years I have searched in vain for the perfect brownies recipe. It must be moist, it must be firm, it must be rich, it must have a gooey center and a crinkly wrinkly top, it must be easy and quick.
I have never found it so I decided I’d better make it. I have experimented for years to get it just right and finally I stumbled upon the magic mix and the Ultimate Brownie was born.
Ultimate Brownie Recipe
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups flour
- In a large bowl melt the butter in your microwave. I always cover my butter cube with its paper wrapper so as not to splatter. Also I do use real butter. You can substitute margarine, but I won’t answer for the results.
- Add eggs, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Stir thoroughly.
- Add in flour, stir until it is completely mixed in. Your brownie “batter” will be more like a cookie dough, sorta stiff. This is the secret to the perfect texture.
- Spray a small glass baking dish with cooking spray. I use a small rectangular dish, about 7×9″, but you could probably get away with a 9″ square baking pan as well.
- Dump all your brownie dough into the pan, then get your hands wet in the tap and press the dough into the pan. The wet on your hands keeps the dough from sticking to you.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. The brownies will end up slightly underdone and gooey in the center. If you prefer less gooey brownies give it another five minutes.
- Make the kids clean up the mess . . . if they get the reward of licking the bowl they might not even complain.