This is a Shakespeare Unit Study. It includes a library list, crafts, activities, discussion questions, and web links that go along with Shakespeare. We cover Shakespeare’s plays and poetry as well as information about the Globe Theater.
This Shakespeare Mini Unit is taken directly from Unit 3-5 of the Layers of Learning Curriculum, that is, it is identical to the arts section of that unit.
This mini-unit is a PDF which can be printed out or left digitally on your lap top or desk top.
The Shakespeare Mini Unit includes:
- Shakespeare Bulletin Board activity
- Shakespeare the Poet, all about the sonnets
- Iambic Pentameter
- Shakespearean Rhyme Schemes
- The Globe Theater
- Reading of a Shakespeare Play
- Hamlet discussion
- Turning a play into a headline
- Draw a scene
- Act out a scene
- Rewrite a scene
- Famous Last Words
- Shakespeare Festival Expedition
- Common everyday phrases invented by Shakespeare
- Plus lots of sidebars including On the Web, Famous Folks, Fabulous Facts, Additional Layers, Writer’s Workshop, and Teaching Tips.
Each of the activities and books has smiley faces that indicate what level of learner the activity is appropriate for. Yellow indicates approximately 1-4th grade, green is for 5th-8th grades, and blue is for high school kids.
This mini unit is intended to be a guide, not a you-must-complete-every-activity curriculum. You can pick and choose between books and activities that you would like to do.
In this, and all our units, we provide a list of books to search for at your library. None of the books are necessary to using the course. They can be replaced by others you can find at your library or off your shelves. The books add to the course and some outside reading will greatly improve learning quality for your kids.